CAN FCC Pinpoint my station if...

Share your experience regarding radio transmitters and broadcasting with other users!

Moderators: Sir Nigel, Nina, pcs, 5r, phpBB2 - Administrators

yahta
New registered user
New registered user

CAN FCC Pinpoint my station if...

Post by yahta »

Say My Station was up yesterday .... on 88.9fm , but i dont have it up today... can they pinpoint me today just from running my station yesterday... can they pinpoint me when my station is off?
znight
Regular poster
Regular poster

Post by znight »

What's there to pinpoint when you're not radiating a signal? I think you're just fine. How long have you been on the air? How much power are you running? How many people know about your station? Format? Talk on it? Censored/Uncensored? Sorry for asking so many questions :)
yahta
New registered user
New registered user

Post by yahta »

iam 30 watts,censored, talk, and some music, my station is only up 6pm to 2am. daily..everythings been going smooth for the past 2 months...no fcc agents at my door or anything hehe...i was just wondering if they can catch my station like during the day when its not on, i only broadcast during nights.
pcs
Site master
Site master

Not if you're off the air

Post by pcs »

It is impossible to triangulate a signal source if its not
radiating, of course. They can't find you when you're not
transmitting.
Best regards,
Marko - PCS Electronics
--------------------------------------------------------
Turn your PC into a FM radio station!
http://www.pcs-electronics.com
fax +386 4 2316 128
znight
Regular poster
Regular poster

Post by znight »

Do you live in a highly populated area? Medium sized town, small town? United States even? By what you've said thus far, your chances of getting caught aren't THAT large.. as long as you're not interfering with anyone else. The thing that got me *almost* in trouble was being vulgar on the air and playing unedited music. I have not yet went to jail and they have apparently not found me. Given that, I don't think you have a thing to worry about.
yahta
New registered user
New registered user

Post by yahta »

i live in a small town in los angeles. its a growing city heh, its nothing though , small population.
pcs
Site master
Site master

Status of LPFM

Post by pcs »

I just picked this up on newsgroup recently, from Brenda Ann.
It summs it up pretty nicely:

Irregardless of how many more licenses are issued, unless you are a religious organization, it's a moot point. I saw a list of CP's issued a while back, and every single one of them was a church or religious organization. The application criteria are so narrow (applicants must be an organization that has been active in the community for at least three years prior, no individual applicants) that it's ludicrous. So much for the idea of having an alternative to the status quo. I personally have nothing
against religious radio, since I can listen or not listen.. but I think it absolutely absurd that the FCC is filling every single open frequency in the country with religious broadcasters. And you can bet that some bureaucrat somewhere is sitting at his or her desk laughing his/her ass off about how they have really screwed the pirates and the people who lobbied so hard to get LPFM off the ground (one of the first things that was done, before applications were even taken, was to disallow anyone who has operated a pirate station, with or without prosecution.. :( )
Best regards,
Marko - PCS Electronics
fax +386 4 2316 128
znight
Regular poster
Regular poster

Post by znight »

Complete bullshit! :evil: Just because of that, I think i'm going to put mine back on the air. Piss on them. I'll put the son of a bitch back on the air and i'll play a looped tape all weekend long advertising this website, freeradio.org and whatever else I can find. What the hell do you think of that FCC?
Grogster
Regular poster
Regular poster

Post by Grogster »

Re: religious stations - we have a few of them here in NZ too, and these are mostly LPFM stations(we're allowed 300mW in NZ on the LPFM licence).
Most run at 3W or so - no licence at all...
CC(NZ version of FCC) know they are there, but because they are God-stations, they ignore them...

Strange, eh?

I have nothing against religious stations - whatever they want to play or promote is up to them, and up to the listener who listens to that station, but they seem to get past any/all regulations a bloody sight easier then the rest of us!!!

G.
Dr. No
Regular poster
Regular poster

pinpoint ?

Post by Dr. No »

Pinpoint?

there are other ways ,,,If you ever give a phone # out,,,

Ditto Pager #'s

Email address, especially if it's your isp address

make friends online here or elsewhere,,, some ditty dah hams
have a hard on for pirates, a very few hams like pirates,
understanding the NABr's have ruined our free press.
myrkel
New registered user
New registered user

LPFM in different countries

Post by myrkel »

HI all!

How about LPFM rules in different countries? In Estonian telecommunication law is no such "thing" as LPFM. Even 10mW is illegal.
StormiNorm

Re: Status of LPFM..SUN 9-28-2003:::1:43AM

Post by StormiNorm »

pcs wrote:I just picked this up on newsgroup recently, from Brenda Ann.
It summs it up pretty nicely:

Irregardless of how many more licenses are issued, unless you are a religious organization, it's a moot point. I saw a list of CP's issued a while back, and every single one of them was a church or religious organization. The application criteria are so narrow (applicants must be an organization that has been active in the community for at least three years prior, no individual applicants) that it's ludicrous. So much for the idea of having an alternative to the status quo. I personally have nothing
against religious radio, since I can listen or not listen.. but I think it absolutely absurd that the FCC is filling every single open frequency in the country with religious broadcasters. And you can bet that some bureaucrat somewhere is sitting at his or her desk laughing his/her a** off about how they have really screwed the pirates and the people who lobbied so hard to get LPFM off the ground (one of the first things that was done, before applications were even taken, was to disallow anyone who has operated a pirate station, with or without prosecution.. :( )
Well As i said before..I am extremely Volatile at this point in time..Been like this foe the past 4 days..City of Miami PoLICE IN cONJUCTION WITH WPLG10 HAS PISSED ME OFF..Not so much City of Miami Police Dept..The WPLG10 INSTIGATORS..THEY DO NOT KNOW HOW LUCKY THEY ARE OVER AT 3900 BISCAYNE BLVD......and i am not threatening anyone or no evil intent insinuated............................Anyway ii have WRITTEN A STINGING AND NO HOLDS BARRED MEMMOS TO THEM AT WPLG10..AND I AM QUITE SURE THAT THE CONTENTS WILL BE DIVULGED RIGHT ON UP THE LINE TO WHOMEVER..ESPECIALLY THE CITY OF MIAMI PD AND ALSO VANIA AND COMPANY.

I REFUSE TO BE TREATED WITH DISRESPECT,BECAUSE I CAN DISH OUT THE SAME 10 FOLD..IF WHOMEVER TREATS ME WITH DUE RESPECT AND UNDERSTANDING..THEN I CAN AND MOST OF THE TIMES WILL MATCH THE SAME 10 FOLD.

OH BY THE WAY WHAT IS HAPPENING IN ITALY RIGHT NOW! NO LIGHTS I HAVE GATHERED.

BASICALLY I AM HOPEING THAT SOMEONE WILL UTTER SOME NONSENSICAL OR DEMEANING OUTBURSTS AGAINST ME IN THIS FORUM...IDENTIFY THEMSELVES BY THEIR TRUE COLOURS ETC..INSTEAD OF HIDEING BEHIND A AVATAR..I AM HOPEING THAT SOME ONE WILL RIDE THAT FIRST CHROME THREE WHEELER AND MAKE THAT FIRST MISTAKE SO I CAN UNLOAD JUST TO MAKE A POINT....I CAN RECALL MAKEING THESE STATEMENTS QUITE FREQUENTLY IN THE PAST..WE SHALL APPLY THE PRINCIPLE..THE SAME MINDSET AS WAS USED IN GOING TO WAR TO LIBERATE ANOTHER COUNTRY..."IF YOUR ARE NOT WITH US..THEN YOU ARE AGAINST US"..BOTTOM LINE..WHUM!!!!

THEY WANT ME TO TONE IT DOWN..OK NO PROBLEM..SOMETIMES SILENCE CAN BE USED TO REALLY GET THE POINT ACROSS.

Respects..Norm B.
pcs
Site master
Site master

Post by pcs »

:lol:

See, Norm, this is what I'm talking about.

Have you seen "The beautifull mind"? Do you
see any similarities?

Besides, you conveniently forget the fact that just a few months
ago 50 millions were without electricity in the US. Thats kind of
more than in Italy.

And this has nothing to do with broadcasting, again, Norm.
Best regards,
Marko - PCS Electronics
fax +386 4 2316 128
marek
Regular poster
Regular poster

Post by marek »

Here in Sweden we also have something more or less like LPFM where you get a licence for a county from 10W and up. A civilian can't get that licence, but can always start a private company (just on paper) and get the licence. However you might have to time share the frequency depending on where you are.
Also you can get a licence for demonstration, service etc where you specify location, frequency chosen (they can be quite helpful at PTS) and how many watts you will crank out. Now how much can you demonstrate your transmitters that are "for sale"? Quite much, even if not 24-7 :D
Without any licence it's illegal to transmit.
However I have been doing so with my good old 300 mW for years and then now with a 8 W from PCS 24-7 without any reprocutions and then the interesting point here is that I have a visual from where the antenna is to the radio tower belonging to one of the radio centers of Teracom :lol: The thing that has done this is maybe a well made ID at the RDS, no foul language, good music and and jingles and most important great sound quality. The frequency is carefully chosen not to disturb anyone and the transmitter trimmed as good as it was possible (I sence that it's good enough since my neighbour is the police station here). You wouldn't be able to see the difference between my station and the others. On the other hands I've heard pirates swearing and broadcasting illegal messages, having a worthless sound quality, disturbing other air traffic etc and they have often been caught which I think is good.
Right now I'm waiting for my licence for two frequencies, one of 8W and a slave of 10W, both covering northern and southern parts of a county to which I'm to move. With some tests this sollution gave superb coverage, better than the commercial PLR station with their 1kW.

As for triangulation nobody will triangulate your station if it's off, but however if you're on air every night they might... There are some risks. DXers can call FCC to ask about your "licence", other stations can feel the competition and report it, some sh**head that normally swears all the time, gets drunk and is completely freaked out could report, because he doesn't want you on air, or just dislikes your music or voice. There is always a risk. A way to minimize it is to set up your tx somewhere else where you can see it and link to it. This way you might loose your tx, but not your freedom... The second the agents are there you just shut down the link :-)

Marek
Maxtrac_B7
New registered user
New registered user

Post by Maxtrac_B7 »

As for triangulation nobody will triangulate your station if it's off, but however if you're on air every night they might... There are some risks. DXers can call FCC to ask about your "licence", other stations can feel the competition and report it, some sh**head that normally swears all the time, gets drunk and is completely freaked out could report, because he doesn't want you on air, or just dislikes your music or voice. There is always a risk. A way to minimize it is to set up your tx somewhere else where you can see it and link to it. This way you might loose your tx, but not your freedom... The second the agents are there you just shut down the link

Marek

pcs
Site master
Site master

Post by pcs »

Norm,

since when do you call yourself Marek?
Best regards,
Marko - PCS Electronics
fax +386 4 2316 128
Maxtrac_B7
New registered user
New registered user

Re: pinpoint ?EBAY..SEARCH..BUY AND CONVERT TO STL's

Post by Maxtrac_B7 »

make friends online here or elsewhere,,, some ditty dah hams
have a hard on for pirates, a very few hams like pirates,
understanding the NABr's have ruined our free press.[/quote]

pcs
Site master
Site master

Post by pcs »

Norm, Norm, Norm...

This was a good post, but all others you posted were
just the usual crap, lo-res images that made no sense,
posts without text, links that don't work etc etc. so I had
to delete them. It wouldn't be long before you'd start
spewing your mega-long self-serving fruitcake rants.

Come back when you decide to truly behave.

Want to know how I blew your cover? My little secret.
Last edited by pcs on Tue Sep 07, 2004 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Best regards,
Marko - PCS Electronics
fax +386 4 2316 128
Sir Nigel

Post by Sir Nigel »

IP address??? Oh wait, the "old man" should be quiet. Old man??? :-?
-empty-
pcs
Site master
Site master

Post by pcs »

Nope, it wasn't the IP :lol:
Best regards,
Marko - PCS Electronics
fax +386 4 2316 128