More static wider carrier?

Discussions regarding our FM transmitters, DX reports, antenna designs, problems...

Moderators: Sir Nigel, Nina, pcs, 5r, phpBB2 - Administrators

OgreVorbis
Regular poster
Regular poster

More static wider carrier?

Post by OgreVorbis »

So I've been using your MAXPRO 3000+ for a while and have found it to perform decently. I recently acquired a veronica/*Ads not allowed* transmitter. When using the veronica with the same amplifier at the same power, I get about half the static in the signal (the range is the same). I decided to hook up both transmitters to a spectrum analyzer and found that the MAXPRO has a carrier twice the width. Does this have anything to do with the increased static when using your transmitter? Can anything be done to improve the spectral quality? Do your higher end transmitters fix this problem? Could it be the stereo coder? I'd like to use your transmitter because of the higher output power and features.
OgreVorbis
Regular poster
Regular poster

Post by OgreVorbis »

I read through the manual of the stereo coder and I think I might know the problem now. When I plugged in the stereo coder I didn't adjust the audio level. Maybe this is the reason for the wide carrier and the static? I'll give it a try tomorrow.
pcs
Site master
Site master

Post by pcs »

The noise of the stereo encoder is usually the source of the problem. And yes, setting MPX sensitivity too high will have a similar effect.
Best regards,
Marko - PCS Electronics
--------------------------------------------------------
Turn your PC into a FM radio station!
http://www.pcs-electronics.com
fax +386 4 2316 128
OgreVorbis
Regular poster
Regular poster

Post by OgreVorbis »

That fixed the problem! And the carrier is narrower too. :)