Earthing

Of-f topic posts about everything and nothing

Moderators: Sir Nigel, Nina, pcs, 5r, phpBB2 - Administrators

nay27uk
Regular poster
Regular poster

Earthing

Post by nay27uk »

Hi all is it advisable to earth my transmitter to the electricity erth line as i live in a new apartment and they use pvc tubing for the water so there is no copper pipe to earth to
pcs
Site master
Site master

Post by pcs »

Well, if lightning hits your antenna it will get inside your house via coaxial cable
and than continue throughout the electrical lines probably burning all electrical
appliances in the house.

Than again, if lightning strikes a non-protected house this will happen anyway.

The proper way to earth antenna is to have a real lightning protection installed
for the antenna tower/pole. This will take the current from the lightning directly
to the ground. Its best to have this done by a professional service.

In real life chance of being hit by lightning is usually small, but when it happens
the damage can be high and even fatal. Of course with a big tower or pole the
chance increases exponentially.

Than again even indirect hit can pickup enough current to cause damage.
Best regards,
Marko - PCS Electronics
--------------------------------------------------------
Turn your PC into a FM radio station!
http://www.pcs-electronics.com
fax +386 4 2316 128
nay27uk
Regular poster
Regular poster

Post by nay27uk »

Thanks marko although I don’t really need to worry to much about lightning as my antenna is not mounted on anything as I live in an apartment and putting antennas of any kind up is strictly prohibited by our housing association, not even allowed a satellite dish or my own TV antenna, what I have done is made a homebrew dipole with boom that I put out of the window during transmissions with a large hook on the window sill to keep it in place, the antenna is then brought back inside when I finish transmitting