help..tuning a comet antenna

Share your experience regarding radio transmitters and broadcasting with other users!

Moderators: Sir Nigel, Nina, pcs, 5r, phpBB2 - Administrators

yahta
New registered user
New registered user

help..tuning a comet antenna

Post by yahta »

ok i recently got a 30 watt amp for my max pro! , i have a comet antenna,
and its all setup, my signal comes in clear for mabe 1 mile or less! , i dont know whats up with it, is this because i never tuned my comet antenna? and if so how do i tune it? , my antenna is on my two story house on the roof and its weird that i only get 1 mile! can someone help me , how can i improve that , and how do i tune my comet antenna, this 30 watts is seeming no better than my 5 watt transmitter , but im thinking its just the antenna is not tuned correctly, please help,

-yahta
znight
Regular poster
Regular poster

Post by znight »

Sounds like you may be getting exceptionally high SWR (due to antenna problems more than likely). To tune the comet antenna you adjust the height of the upper element according to the frequency you are operating on (i'm not sure of the measurements offhand, someone please post them here). Hmm, you should have received a small paper with tuning instructions on it. Pretty simple stuff. For fine tuning and optimal performance you should probably get an SWR meter and measure everything out, though it's not absolutely necessary. Hope this helps!

-Z-
yahta
New registered user
New registered user

Post by yahta »

yea i dont remember getting any paper instructions on the antenna , so if someone can please scan theres and email me it ( mystiksc@aol.com ) or give me a link to it , and where could i buy a good swr meter , ne good websites , if so please let me know. i would appreciate it , i would really like to get my antenna tuned , and my transmitter working to its full potential, thx!
yahta
New registered user
New registered user

Post by yahta »

znight wrote:Sounds like you may be getting exceptionally high SWR (due to antenna problems more than likely). To tune the comet antenna you adjust the height of the upper element according to the frequency you are operating on (i'm not sure of the measurements offhand, someone please post them here). Hmm, you should have received a small paper with tuning instructions on it. Pretty simple stuff. For fine tuning and optimal performance you should probably get an SWR meter and measure everything out, though it's not absolutely necessary. Hope this helps!

-Z-
ok so say i put the height of the upper element as high as it goes, would that make it 108MHZ and say i dropped the upper element as low as it goes , would that be in the 88MHZ range.. please help me :) i would like a idea of how it works , thank you
znight
Regular poster
Regular poster

Post by znight »

I'll do some research on the net for you, and post my results on here. I can't remember the exact measurements.
yahta
New registered user
New registered user

Post by yahta »

Thanks a lot znight , I really appreciate your help.