LPFM Antenna Suggestions?

Discuss antenna construction, problems, tuning, designs...

Moderators: Sir Nigel, Nina, pcs, 5r, phpBB2 - Administrators

optx
New registered user
New registered user

LPFM Antenna Suggestions?

Post by optx »

Hi
I recently purchased a transmitter and about 100ft of RG-11 cable.The only reason why I purchased the cable is because it was wrongly recommended to me.Im planning on purchasing some 50ohm cable soon.My run is going to be about 100ft.What is the best low loss coax cable for me?OK now for the true question.
What antenna would work best for my LPFM station?My antenna pole is well over 30 ft and I live in an area which lies below sea level and is very very flat.There are alot of power lines and trees in all directions.Ive considered many antennas:1/4,5/8,J-Pole,Slim Jim etc. Taking all of my factors into consideration what antenna would give me the best range and performance?
Im using a 1 watt transmitter with a 45watt amp on the way.

any info on this would really help...Ive been racking my brain and staying up late doing research with no solid conclusions

Thanks
OPTX
stylzmovement
Compulsive poster:)
Compulsive poster:)

Post by stylzmovement »

there are several options here, for the size of your amp i will not use any thing larger that an 7/8 cable .
you can fin a good 7/8/ cable or a 1/2 inch like belden 9913 twith low loss or maybe LMR or Helix
that should take care of your cable.
pcs
Site master
Site master

Post by pcs »

Why 100 feet? This is really long, most of your power will be spent heating up the cable.

If you can, put the amp on the top of the tower or at least at the bottom, if there's adequate
weather-protected space that is.

Hopefully enough drive will remain after 100 feet of coax to drive the amp.
Best regards,
Marko - PCS Electronics
--------------------------------------------------------
Turn your PC into a FM radio station!
http://www.pcs-electronics.com
fax +386 4 2316 128