Windows Vista support

All posts related to PCI MAX transmittors go here!

Moderators: Sir Nigel, Nina, pcs, 5r, phpBB2 - Administrators

quirtep
New registered user
New registered user

Windows Vista support

Post by quirtep »

I have the PCI Max 2004, and I have been unsuccessful getting it to run with Windows Vista. I tried the 2004, 2005, and new 2007 drivers, but none work. It reports that the device was unable to start. Any ideas? Will it be possible to make the transmitter work with Vista?
pcs
Site master
Site master

Post by pcs »

We will eventually release drivers, but right now Vista seems to be pretty unpopular.

Not sure about support for the old products, but 2006-7 will definitely be supported.
Best regards,
Marko - PCS Electronics
--------------------------------------------------------
Turn your PC into a FM radio station!
http://www.pcs-electronics.com
fax +386 4 2316 128
quirtep
New registered user
New registered user

unpopular

Post by quirtep »

I'm not exactly sure what you mean when you say that Vista is unpopular. It seems to me that if you accept Microsoft, you have to accept Vista. Practically all new computer sold will have Vista. I'm no huge fan of Microsoft, but I don't see Vista as any more evil than XP... Anyway - I understand that it takes time to develop drivers for new operating systems, but it doesn't seem accurate to suggest that Vista is unpopular. It's inevitable!
pcs
Site master
Site master

Post by pcs »

Read what people say about it and you'll see what unpopular means.

Personally I'll wait for service pack 1 before even trying it.
There's loads of hardware out there that's still not supported, too.
Best regards,
Marko - PCS Electronics
--------------------------------------------------------
Turn your PC into a FM radio station!
http://www.pcs-electronics.com
fax +386 4 2316 128
quirtep
New registered user
New registered user

Post by quirtep »

I've read good and bad reviews on Vista. Most reviews seem to indicate that it's clearly better than XP - but not hugely - and that it would be best to not be the first one to try it but rather to wait for the bugs to be ironed out. Of course there are lots of people who hate it - it's Microsoft. I'm not really trying to defend Vista - I'm just saying that it's going to become a very "popular" operating system no matter what people say about it. I don't blame you at all for waiting for service pack 1 - but that's more of a personal user perspective than the perspective of a developer trying to remain up-to-date. I'm sticking with XP for my primary workstation, but did put Vista onto the machine I use as a media center. It was an easy upgrade, and all of my software and hardware worked with the exception of the FM transmitter.

If popular means that a lot of people use it (or will soon) then Vista is definitely popular. This is true even if thousands of people hate it.

Please understand that I don't mean to be argumentative or to support Microsoft. I just can't help myself I guess!
Sir Nigel

Post by Sir Nigel »

I'm a big user of software and like tinkering with computers from time to time, but I'm not going to touch Vista for some time. I'm sure it improves on many things that XP lacked, but this OS just doesn't seem to inspire a rush to use it. More RAM usage, odd implementation of anti-virus/security programs and lack of an impending "need" to switch make me think twice about it. I'm especially worried that a couple ancient of days computers at my place barely running XP won't even work properly with it.
-empty-
quirtep
New registered user
New registered user

Post by quirtep »

It's good to not be a lemming. Now that I've played with it for a few days, I'd say Vista is primarily about appearance. XP applied a comic book appearance to 2000, and Vista takes it further. There's appearance, and there's annoying security alerts. I haven't really found anything in Vista that XP does not offer, except restrictive security policies. It definitely is using more of my machine's RAM. Overall, Vista looks great and runs fine on my machine, but it's a dual-processor powerhouse, and I can definitely understand people's desire to stick with what works. I think I better quit posting here. Somehow I started out in the devil's advocate position of defending Vista. All I really care about is compatibility with Vista and the FM transmitter, but understand that this could take some time. Please understand that I respect PCS Electronics more than Microsoft :)