HIGH GAIN ¾ Antenna Problems

Discuss antenna construction, problems, tuning, designs...

Moderators: Sir Nigel, Nina, pcs, 5r, phpBB2 - Administrators

pcs
Site master
Site master

Post by pcs »

How a signal sounds has very little to do with an antenna. :-? :-? :-?

In fact it only has to do with range/signal coverage.

It might have some effect on actual audio on AM MW band, where
a narrowband antenna makes a difference, if not tuned properly.

Contact me via email, I'll get you in touch with the manufacturer.
Best regards,
Marko - PCS Electronics
--------------------------------------------------------
Turn your PC into a FM radio station!
http://www.pcs-electronics.com
fax +386 4 2316 128
rexb
New registered user
New registered user

Post by rexb »

Maybe it's just me, but it sounds like you own a lemon. :P
Yoda Shaman
deeplist
Regular poster
Regular poster

Post by deeplist »

You should not have even posted here. This thread is 3 months old. I have since then solved the problem.
Norwalk Electronics
New registered user
New registered user

It's the amplifier, not the antenna!

Post by Norwalk Electronics »

It should be noted that upon further investigation it was found that this customers 300 watt power amplifier was only mounted on the small aluminum heat spreader supplied with the board and not properly mounted on a suitable heat sink. This combined with tampering of R2 (the bias setting) almost certainly caused the amplifier to overheat and operate erratically after a few minutes. It takes basic electronics skills to assemble a working station and burning yourself with RF while adjusting the antenna is not a good sign. An antenna rated at over three times the power of your transmitter would not be in any way responsible for causing distortion or reducing power over time. The High Gain 3/4 wave is guaranteed to outperform every single other antenna on the market for FM transmission.
stylzmovement
Compulsive poster:)
Compulsive poster:)

Re: It's the amplifier, not the antenna!

Post by stylzmovement »

Norwalk Electronics wrote:It should be noted that upon further investigation it was found that this customers 300 watt power amplifier was only mounted on the small aluminum heat spreader supplied with the board and not properly mounted on a suitable heat sink. This combined with tampering of R2 (the bias setting) almost certainly caused the amplifier to overheat and operate erratically after a few minutes. It takes basic electronics skills to assemble a working station and burning yourself with RF while adjusting the antenna is not a good sign. An antenna rated at over three times the power of your transmitter would not be in any way responsible for causing distortion or reducing power over time. The High Gain 3/4 wave is guaranteed to outperform every single other antenna on the market for FM transmission.
i also read all the post of this user , i think the problem i with the cooling of the amp , you will need to have a good heatsink and 1 or maybe 2 fans blowing fresh cool air over it , or else you will start at 300watts and over time fall to 150 watts or maybe lower , the 3/4 wave antenna is well made and is also well package , i have installed several. i have very little problem with them.
pcs
Site master
Site master

Post by pcs »

i also read all the post of this user , i think the problem i with the cooling of the amp , you will need to have a good heatsink and 1 or maybe 2 fans blowing fresh cool air over it , or else you will start at 300watts and over time fall to 150 watts or maybe lower , the 3/4 wave antenna is well made and is also well package , i have installed several. i have very little problem with them.
You will have a smoking pile of electronic garbage, if you do not use heatsink. Moreover, the final might
give away its soul in a spectacular manner. Quite expensive fire cracker.
Best regards,
Marko - PCS Electronics
--------------------------------------------------------
Turn your PC into a FM radio station!
http://www.pcs-electronics.com
fax +386 4 2316 128
n9aok
New registered user
New registered user

Post by n9aok »

Thanks for the followup on this problem as I was reading it and really wanted to know the end to the story.
Looks like the OP knew it was a heat problem of some type. Glad to see this resolved with real root cause found.

Norwalk Electronics wrote:It should be noted that upon further investigation it was found that this customers 300 watt power amplifier was only mounted on the small aluminum heat spreader supplied with the board and not properly mounted on a suitable heat sink. This combined with tampering of R2 (the bias setting) almost certainly caused the amplifier to overheat and operate erratically after a few minutes. It takes basic electronics skills to assemble a working station and burning yourself with RF while adjusting the antenna is not a good sign. An antenna rated at over three times the power of your transmitter would not be in any way responsible for causing distortion or reducing power over time. The High Gain 3/4 wave is guaranteed to outperform every single other antenna on the market for FM transmission.