HELP WITH ANTENNA PROBLEM

Discuss antenna construction, problems, tuning, designs...

Moderators: Sir Nigel, Nina, pcs, 5r, phpBB2 - Administrators

SheekLouch
New registered user
New registered user

HELP WITH ANTENNA PROBLEM

Post by SheekLouch »

i just so happen to have a giant antenna pole in my backyard (GO FIGURE!) It must of been there before i moved in...anyway.....it appears to have a tv antenna at the top of it, i was thinking of climbing up there replacing it with a dipole and run a new wire down becuase the old one is frayed.

Now....the problem is there are tree branches around it from a tree that is far away but the branches are growing towards it. should i cut the branches or use them for continued camoflauge of the giant pole?

if i chop them down will the signal increase? i would think so but i am no expert. Also would the signal of 15w even go far? Now the pole in my backyard overtowers the house and most houses in the area but there are other trees around the block that are taller than the giant pole.....would the signal be able to pass through or around them. i would not be able to chop those ones down. i am a little frustrated and a little excited.....it is not everyday you just happen to find a giant antenna pole in your backyard....can anybody help???

thanks
sheek
SheekLouch
New registered user
New registered user

by the way

Post by SheekLouch »

when i say giant pole i mean tower. my fault
SheekLouch
New registered user
New registered user

also

Post by SheekLouch »

sorry for keep posting but i thought of something else...there are power lines around my block..they are not touchin my house but they are really close...will those too have an effect on singnal/clarity?
cafr
New registered user
New registered user

Post by cafr »

I'm no expert but I think almost anything could hinder your RF.
Radio stations and television network towers are outside the city and at the highest point that they are allowed at to get a good signal. There are usually no trees as tall as their towers and there are not wires way up there as well. t

People recommend getting a SWR and checking this yourself. Trimming tree branches is good for your tree all on its own so it may be good for your antenna as well.
"No man's life, liberty or fortune is safe while our legislature is in session."

–Benjamin Franklin
(1706-1790)
Sir Nigel

Post by Sir Nigel »

Are the branches as tall as the antenna? Assuming they are, this can have an effect on the signal. However if they are just below it, consider that FM signal is more line-of-sight (think of your antenna being a giant light bulb), therefore if you can "see" the antenna without any objects blocking it, then your signal should un-affected.

Also, your power-lines shouldn't do anything to your signal, as most aren't that solid.
-empty-
SheekLouch
New registered user
New registered user

Post by SheekLouch »

thanks for the replies.

Sir Nigel,...the branches arnt tall just long, they are growing toward the tower, it is the tree which is tall as or even taller than the tower.
but there is space in other directions.

The whole line of sight thing makes sense, so i guess i would only be able to broadcast around the area 1/2 mile with a 15w transmitter (correct?)?
There are trees in the area that are certainly taller than my tower.

What about boosting the signal? probably not?

sheek
cafr
New registered user
New registered user

Post by cafr »

Hello,

I myself have a question regarding antennas.

Say I have the COMET CFM-95SL 5/8 wave omnidirectional antenna. Its outside the studio 40 feet above the ground plus the length of the antenna its self. So we have at least forty feet of coaxial cable outside going from the ground to the bottom of the antenna plus from the outside cable connecting to the transmitter. Do you recommend something more than H500 coxial cable for low loss? The diameter difference between it and the h155 is 4.4mm. Is this enough to transmit a good, clean signal?

How do you folks connect your coxial cable to your transmitter and then to your antenna?

Any setup ideas would be fantastic!

Another question. Is there an affordable way to do short distance RF linking? Say you want the transmitter near a window so the cable may go outside and you want your studio somewhere else not toference, any way to do so?
"No man's life, liberty or fortune is safe while our legislature is in session."

–Benjamin Franklin
(1706-1790)