PCS Electronics PCS Electronics - home page PCS Electronics  
RegisterSearchFAQAM & FM Radio transmitters shop UsergroupsLog in
Stereo Signal and Distance

Reply to topic    PCS-Electronics Forum Index » Stereo encoders View previous topic
View next topic
Stereo Signal and Distance
anon
Regular poster
Regular poster

Post Stereo Signal and Distance Reply with quote
Someone had asked me a while ago if transmitting a stereo signal would require more power. I assumed it wouldn't (significantly) because I figured that an MPX signal would just modulate the carrier more.

However, I recently came across this article which seems to indicate that transmitting in stereo would decrease your broadcast range and thus require more power. The link at the bottom of the page goes to some forum comments about whether it is really a loss in distance or if it is a higher signal to noise ratio.

So my question is, do any of you FM radio gurus out there know whether transmitting stereo FM will actually decrease your transmition range? If so, how much does it decrease and why? Thanks for the help!
Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:43 pm View user's profile Send private message
cliffyk
Regular poster
Regular poster

us.gif

Post Reply with quote
The last few paragraphs of the linked article say it all, this statement in particular sums (no pun intended) it up--"A Stereo transmission tends to sound noisier that a Mono signal"...

The "bulk" of the content of your signal is greatly increased when transmitting a stereo encoded signal, and while this "bulk" contributes to your deviation levels most of the added "bulk" is inaudilble until decoded at the receiver--the result is a lessened delivery of useful (to the humans) information (signal vs. noise).

Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:00 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Reply to topic    PCS-Electronics Forum Index » Stereo encoders All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: