PCS Electronics PCS Electronics - home page PCS Electronics  
RegisterSearchFAQAM & FM Radio transmitters shop UsergroupsLog in
UHF Connector PL-239 / How to connect it to the pallet amp?

Reply to topic    PCS-Electronics Forum Index » Users share experience... View previous topic
View next topic
UHF Connector PL-239 / How to connect it to the pallet amp?
honsey
New registered user
New registered user

Post UHF Connector PL-239 / How to connect it to the pallet amp? Reply with quote
Hi there,

a while ago I built a low power fm transmitter with a microcontroller controlled fm exciter. That feeds into a PCS 25W pallet amp and a filter.

It was my very first UHF project and I think (I know) I made a lot of mistakes...

Here's a picture of the open casing (connection exciter pcb <> amp removed):

(The colored wires are for the lcb display and buttons on the font panel.)

Now I want to improve some aspects. I made pictures of the current setup. Maybe you can suggest how to do it the right way:

1) Connections between Exciter PCB<>AMP<>Filter. I used RG-178/U 2mm TEFLON brown and soldered it directly on the PCB

I think those are okay, as I see not much of an alternative to that. (And the silkscreen on the pallet and the filter suggests a connection like that...)

The connection from the Exciter to the AMP is really really "hacky".

I thought about placing a SMA or U.FL connector on the PCB and an SMA connector on the AMP. Then connect both with a prefabricated cable. Do you think this is a good idea, or would I loose too much dB? (Given the fact, that I would layout proper solder pads on the next PCB.

2) Connection between Filter and PL-239 case socket. I used a thicker cable that is (I think) silver coated, can't remember the exact product name.

Very very improvised, i know. I am very interested in how would you do this connection "right". Help! :)

It's working fine – could measure about 20W output with a cheap SWR-Power-Meter.

Now I want to build another one and do it better this time. Hope you guys can give me some tipps where to improve.

Thanks in advance + Have a good one,
Hans
Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:26 pm View user's profile Send private message
pcs
Site master
Site master

Post Reply with quote
You did good with this connector, however you could add more ground leads from other screws to reduce ground terminal inductivity.

To do better:
http://www.pcs-electronics.com/panel-mount-feedthrough-connectors-p-1688.html
N female flange for RG142 or .141 semirigid - easy install

Now this connector brings ground all around your coax so connection is really perfect.

Turn your PC into a FM radio station!
http://www.pcs-electronics.com
fax +386 4 2316 128
Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:27 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Reply to topic    PCS-Electronics Forum Index » Users share experience... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: